The University of Burdwan was established under West Bengal Act XXIX of 1959 as a teaching and affiliating University on 15 June, 1960 with six P.G. Departments & thirty undergraduate colleges spread over five districts that came under the jurisdiction of the University. Now, the University is offering 30 P.G. Programmes and there are 122 Affiliated colleges (including Degree Colleges, B.Ed. Colleges & Private Professional Institutes) under its umbrella. The districts of Burdwan, Hooghly (except Srirampur sub-division), Birbhum, Bankura and Purulia come under its jurisdiction. The administrative wing of the University is located in the majestic Bardhaman Maharaja’s Rajbati Palace while the academic departments are situated in the Golapbag (Rose Garden) campus,about a mile distance from the Administrative complex.